PARISH COUNCIL - 2013

Minutes of the Meeting held in the John Ross Suite on Tuesday 10th September 2013 at 7.30

Present: Cllrs Brian Metcalfe (Chairman), David Allison (Vice Chair), Michael Gauntlett, Ken Rostron.
Jon Rutherford – Parish Clerk

1. Apologies for Absence: Cllr P Metcalfe, Cllr M Heseltine (NYCC), Cllr W Heslop (RDC) & PC John Wilbor.

2. Confirmation of the Minutes of the Meeting held on May 22nd.

3. Matters Arising:
It was agreed that the Chair to contact Maureen Howarth re the emergency planning “grab bag” and place in the village hall. Chair to action.

The clerk advised that the emergency planning equipment (from the RAY grant) was now located in the village hall.

Cllr Rostron advised that he had completed the cleaning / varnishing of the village benches.

The clerk advised that he had submitted the grant application for the vehicle activation sign.

4. A Discussion on Flooding
The Chair and Cllr Allison advised that they had been involved heavily with the local authorities to obtain funding to deal with the river problems and also with Highways to re profile the village roads to help prevent water reaching the village. The Chair advised that the road re profiling and new drainage works had been completed at the Richmond end of the village.

The Chair advised that the Environmental Agency (EA) had indicated that they had no money available with which to fund the river works and hence additional funding streams had to be sought. It was advised that any works were dependant upon the EA granting consent to any proposed works. 

Cllr Allison advised that an application had been submitted to the EA for proposed works (submitted January 2013) however a response confirming whether the works could be carried out had not been received to date.

The application proposed to remove obstructing trees and vegetation from the banks of Gilling beck between Catchwater Stell and the Yorkshire Water treatment works downstream. Also to remove accumulated still to straighten and widen the beck to achieve a minimum of 8 metres – to be achieved by a two stream channel. All vegetation to be removed and all silt / earth to be spread in situ.

All members of the parish council expressed their on-going concerns with the flooding problems and the extremely slow response from all the local authorities. It was agreed that Cllr Allison to draft a letter to send to MP William Hague to highlight the flooding problems and to seek his support. Cllr Allison to action.

5. Planning Applications : None

6. An Update on the Broadband Project
Cllr Gauntlett advised that he attended a recent meeting from which it was advised that the majority of homes (90% in the area) would have fibre optic broadband by the end of 2014 with alternative technology solutions for those hard to reach areas (the final 10%). Supafast North Yorkshire to ensure that everyone within the programme to have access to minimum broadband speeds of 2Mbps by the end of 2014.

7. Police Report
PC Wilbor gave his apologies for not attending the meeting but provided an update as follows:
Fuel was stolen from a parked lorry on the A66. This happened overnight on the 15th and 24th September 2013. The incident on the 24th September resulted in a male being arrested for theft of fuel.
Between 4th and 7th September 2013 15 lambs were stolen from the Whashton area. Farmers are urged to check livestock regularly and report any suspicious activity to the police.
Overnight on the 15th September 2013 a trailer was stolen from Moulton Stud, Aske. The area had seen a theft of machinery in August also.

8. A Discussion on the RDC owned play park.
The clerk advised that he had received information from Gary Hudson (RDC) to advise that the yearly costs to take over the RDC play park would be circa £1,000.00. 
The clerk advised that there would also be a legal cost in taking over the park / playing field in terms of drawing up a contract with the RDC. The clerk advised that this process had cost another parish council £400.00 but that this was for five play parks.
It was agreed that the clerk to arrange a consultation evening (for the parish) to discuss this issue and to explore the available options:

Take no action and leave the play park under the management of RDC.
The parish council to take ownership of the RDC play park and playing field and maintain this facility.
The parish council to take ownership of the RDC play park and playing field and consider using the area for allotments.
The parish council to take ownership of the RDC play park and playing field and consider using the area for a woodland walk area.

The clerk advised that he would draft up a flyer to distribute within the parish inviting parishioners to the consultation evening.
Clerk to action as above.


9. Correspondence The clerk advised that the following correspondence was received:- Letter from RDC confirming receipt of the funding application for the vehicle activated sign (to be considered at a meeting on 27 November 2013). - Letter from St Johns Community Centre requesting funding. The parish council agreed no action. - Letter from RDC re the Local Plan Core Strategy. The clerk advised this had been issued to all. - Letter from RDC inviting the parish council to take part in a pilot scheme to encourage the development of parish plans. The clerk advised that he would invite members from RDC to attend the next parish council meeting. Clerk to action.

10. Accounts & cheques to pay The clerk issued all with a copy of the current accounts showing a projected balance of £11,459.81 (including £7,270.50 held in the flood account). The following cheques were agreed: Chq 100592: £80.00 (J Rutherford Feb pay) 100593: £80.00 (J Rutherford March pay) 100594: Void cheque 100595: £98.40 (HMRC) 100596: £80.00 (J Rutherford April pay) 100597: £26.35 (B Metcalfe expenses) 100598: £80.00 (J Rutherford May pay) 100599; £243.80 (Zurich Insurance) 100600: £84.00 (M Feasby) 100601: £25.00 (B Metcalfe expenses) 100602: £80.00 (J Rutherford June pay) 100603: £60.00 (HMRC) 100604: £756.00 (NYCC – Vehicle Activation Signs) 100605: £168.00 (M Feasby) 100606: £168.00 (M Feasby) 100607: £80.00 (J Rutherford July pay) 100608: £273.03 (J Rutherford expenses – Amazon order) 100609: £168.00 (M Feasby) 100610: £21.88 (J Rutherford expenses) 100611: £80.00 (J Rutherford August pay)

11. Any other business It was agreed that the clerk to contact Cllr P Metcalfe re using the field for this year’s firework display. Clerk to action.

It was agreed that the clerk to contact RDC re the cost for two dog bins for the village: at the bridge and on Anteforth. Clerk to action with Cllr’s Allison and Rostron to advise the exact locations.

It was agreed that Cllr Gauntlett to discuss with the Village Hall re siting the Christmas tree outside the village hall. Cllr Gauntlett to action.

It was agreed that the Cllr Gauntlett to contact Shaun Hillary re carrying out repair works on the Memorial Cross fencing. Cllr Gauntlett to action

12. Date of the next meeting It was agreed that the next meeting would be on 11th December 2013.

Action: Cllr Gauntlett to book the John Ross Suite.

......................................................................................................................................................................................

Minutes of the Meeting held in the John Ross Suite on Wednesday 22nd May 2013 at 7.00 p.m.
Present:  Cllrs Brian Metcalfe (Chairman), David Allison (Vice Chair), Ken Rostron, Paul Metcalfe. Jon Rutherford – Parish Clerk, Cllr. William Heslop (RDC).

1. Election of Chair & Vice Chair -Chair: Cllr B Metcalfe was proposed by Cllr D Allison and seconded by Cllr P Metcalfe. Cllr B Metcalfe accepted and took the position of Chair of the Parish Council.Vice Chair: Cllr D Allison was proposed by Cllr B Metcalfe and seconded by Cllr K Rostron. Cllr D Allison accepted and took the position of Vice Chair of the Parish Council.
2. Apologies for Absence - Cllr Michael Gauntlett (Parish Council), Cllr Michael Heseltine (NYCC), PC John Wilbor.
3. Confirmation of the minutes of the meeting held on 19th February 2013 - The minutes were agreed by all.
4. Matters Arising - It was agreed that the Chair would contact Maureen Howarth re. the emergency planning “grab bag” and place the bag in the village hall. Chair to action.It was agreed that the clerk to source the Rural Action Yorkshire (RAY)  emergency planning equipment following the receipt of the RAY grant of £250.00. The clerk advised that it was a likely that a proforma invoice would be required to pay for the goods. Clerk to action.The Chair advised that he would seek a further update on the Broadband issue as it seemed that little progress had been made. Chair to action.

The clerk advised that Mr Feasby had been instructed to cut the grass and that this would commence shortly.

All advised that the RDC sand bags had been delivered.

5. Approval of the End of Year Accounts 2012 / 2013 - The clerk presented all with the year-end accounts showing a closing balance of £11,947.79 (including £7,270.50 held in the Flood Account).

All agreed the accounts and Cllr. B. Metcalfe and the clerk signed off the Annual Return forms. The clerk advised that he would send of the completed forms. Clerk to action.
6. Planning Applications - None. 7. An Update on the Flooding Works - As a result of meetings with Environmental Agency representatives and the Gilling West Parish Council, funding has been approved for a new survey of the beck and the associated flood risk to land and properties in Gilling West. The survey will focus on assessment of flood risk and then provide a range of costed remedial actions that will be reviewed with all affected parties. Engineers for the survey have been identified and the initial investigation is scheduled to commence in August 2013. The Parish Council have also met with representatives of major landowners to present and review the implications of the proposed two stage channel to minimise the risk of flooding from Gilling Beck. The reprofiling of Richmond Road and Forcett Lane in order to remove surface water and reduce the flood risk on Gilling High Street is under consideration with the North Yorkshire Highways dept. 8. An Update on the RDC owned Play Parks - It was agreed that the clerk would make further enquiries with RDC regarding any funding that was available re the takeover of the play park. Clerk to action.

It was agreed that the clerk to contact RDC to ascertain the costs in taking over the play park in terms of maintenance, grass cutting, inspection costs etc. Clerk to action.

It was agreed that a consultation evening to be arranged (September 2013) to discuss this matter with Parishioners prior to making any decision. Clerk & All to Action.
9. Correspondence - The clerk advised that the following correspondence was received: - Letter from Colburn Leisure Centre requesting funding. All agreed no action to be taken. - Email advising that repair / general cleaning works are required on village benches. Cllr Rostron agreed to action. - Email from NYCC re the availability of Temporary Vehicle Activated signs. All agreed to pursue this project and for Cllr B Metcalfe to meet the NYCC representative. Cllr B Metcalfe / Clerk to advise the costs for all to agree before proceeding with any order. Cllr B Metcalfe / Clerk / All to action. - Letter from RDC re the Area Partnership Funding 2013 / 2014. All agreed to apply reference the proposed Vehicle Activation sign project. Clerk to apply once all agreed the final project. Clerk to action. - Letter from RDC re the Communities Opportunity Fund 2013 / 2014. It was agreed that any required flooding prevention works to use this for possible funding. Clerk to action.
10. Cheques to pay - The following cheques were agreed: Chq 100592: £80.00 (J Rutherford Feb pay) 100593 : £80.00 (J Rutherford March pay) 100595: £98.40 (HMRC) 100596 : £80.00 (J Rutherford April pay) 100597 : £26.35 (Cllr B Metcalfe expenses) 100599 : £243.80 (Zurich Insurance)


11. Any other business - The clerk presented all with the Zurich Insurance quotation. All agreed to accept.

It was agreed by all that the clerk to ask PC Wilbor to provide a monthly update. Clerk to action.

12. Date of the next meeting - It was agreed that the next meeting would be on 10th September 2013

The meeting finished at 8.10pm

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

MEETING 15/01/2013

Proposed Sub-station

Maureen Howarth updated all advising that progress had been made with the proposed substation in the village and that there had been no objections made following its announcement in the local press. It was advised that the matter was now with the district council legal team.

Flooding Update

Following the floods of 25 September 2012 a public meeting was held on 15 October 2012 where the current status on flood risk was reviewed and proposals from the public were invited. A meeting with Mark Young (County Council Flood Manager) and representatives from the Environment Agency was held on 6 November 2012. It was agreed that the parish council would apply for flood defence consent in order to carry out remedial works and reduce the flood risk from Gilling Beck. A meeting was also scheduled with NYCC Highways in order to reduce the flood risk to the High Street from surface water on Forcett Lane and Richmond Road. Cllr’s Heslop and Allison walked the beck to identify obstructions and a draft consent was submitted to the Environment Agency requesting that the beck to be increased in width to 8 metres. A further meeting with the NYCC Flood Partnership Team reviewed the proposed consent. It was suggested that a two stage channel would provide the optimum solution. Wildlife and Ecology would be preserved in the existing channel whilst the section of the beck would be widened from above normal water level to provide additional capacity in flood conditions. The parish council agreed to rework the consent and meet with Riparian Landowners to seek agreement to this scheme of works. The Environment Agency would cost out the proposed works and prepare a cost benefit analysis to be submitted for review with other schemes in the flood manager’s report scheduled for March 2013. The Environment Agency agreed to identify a schedule to remove all overhanging beck side vegetation to a height of 8ft. The parish council also met with Mike Woodford of NYCC Highways who agreed to undertake a study to assess the feasibility of reprofiling Forcett Lane and Richmond Road. These works are intended to divert surface flood water into the cricket field and the field below the treatment works respectively. If successful these works would prevent surface flood water from entering the Gilling High Street.

An Update on the Broadband Project

The BT surveys are continuing and it is hoped that the laying of the fibre cables will start in the New Year. It was advised that as the BT 25 superfast mgb details are revealed to cover 90% of the county that the North Yorkshire Superfast Board will then look at the remaining 10% with the objective of raising the broadband strength in the minority areas. The date for the completion of the work remains the end of 2014.