VILLAGE HISTORY

GILLING WEST village is situated south of the busy A66 Trunk Road and three miles north of Richmond. In the village there is a post office (re-opening in March 2015) and two pubs, The Angel Inn and The White Swan Inn, both of which serve food. There are many interesting attractive cottages and larger houses some dating back to the 16th century. At the north end of the village the green was formerly a walled pinfold for the enclosure of stray animals. There are remains of a water spout with an iron animal mask. Also at the north end of the High Street is a large house which at one time was the old parsonage. This was replaced in 1807 by a new vicarage at the left-hand side of the Church drive when William Wharton (in preparation for his marriage in 1808) had a complete street demolished to provide a suitable site (now Gilling Hall, a private residence). The present vicarage was built on the opposite side of the drive in 1979. Situated between Gilling Bridge and the Angel Inn is a blacksmith's workshop where visitors are welcomed by the blacksmith, now officially retired. These premises, like many others in the area have at one time been temporarily used as settings for such popular TV series as "All Creatures Great and Small". The Parish Church is dedicated to St. Agatha, patron saint of Catania, Sicily and it is here that there can be found some evidence of Gilling West's past. The Domesday Book records that a Church existed in Gilling (Ghellinges) in the year 1086 and it has long been thought that the present church arose on the site of  a monastery destroyed by the Danes. The Church was either restored or rebuilt about the end of the 11th century with additions in the 14th century, Many major alterations were carried out in 1845. Gilling was once a place of considerable importance, in the 7th century being a principal seat of the Kings of Deira, the southern part of the Anglian Kingdom of Northumbria. From the 9th century Gillingshire was ruled by the Earls of Mercia, the last of whom, Edwin, had his stronghold on Castle Hill near to where Low Scales Farm now stands. However the Norman Conquest brought many changes and William gave Edwin's lands to his kinsman Alan Rufus, who built his mighty castle several miles away in Richmond - this led towards the demise of Gilling's former high status in the area.

NOTES TAKEN FROM THE MINUTE BOOKS OF PARISH AND PARISH COUNCIL MEETINGS FROM 1894 ONWARDS - 

 1894 - The first Meeting of the Parish Council took place in accordance with the notice duly issued by the Chairman of the Parish Meeting held at Gilling on Tuesday, 4th December 1894. It was held in the School Room on Thursday 13th December 1894 @ 6.30pm.

1895 - It was decided to ask the District Council to continue the footpath by the Richmond Road side from its termination at the bottom of Gilling Bank to the top of Aske Bank to join that made by the Marquis of Zetland. There was much traffic especially on market days and persons walking were much inconvenienced by the want of a footpath between the places named, the road being frequently very dirty and in places wet and overhung by trees. A letter was received in 1896 from the County Surveyor asking for an estimate. However, it was decided not to pursue the matter as parts of the footpath extended into the parishes of Aske and Easby.

1897 - Correspondence had been made with W. H. A. Wharton (Gilling Estate) with reference to money collected as fees for standing room on the Green from travelling shows. Mr. Wharton had no objection to this being paid into the accounts of the Council without prejudice.

1898 - The Clerk was directed to write to the Trustees protesting that at the last examination of candidates for the Hartforth Scholarships, both the successful candidates were from Richmond Grammar School - to the exclusion of boys from Gilling and the other parishes to which preference is given by the Scheme.

1908 - Attention was called to the lane leading to Mouldron (called Cat Lane) being in a filthy state due to rubbish being thrown there. The Clerk was instructed to have the same cleared and to ask Mrs. Pawsey to tell the adjoining tenants not to throw their rubbish in in future.

1911 - A letter was read reporting the dangerous state of the footbridge near Hartforth saw mill. The Clerk was instructed to ask Major Cradock if he would have the same made good. (Further exchanges are listed and the bridge was finally re-built in 1920.

1915 - A letter was read from the North Yorkshire Automobile Club respecting Danger boards - the matter being left in the Chairman's hands. A communication was read from the County Council wanting a list sent of all eligible young men in the Parish for the Army.

1917 - A communication was read from the RDC respecting National Service. The Clerk was instructed to reply that, owing to the publicity of the question and the men being already beneficially employed, it was unnecessary for a personal canvas.

1923 - Mr Lambert drew the attention of the PC to the dirty state of Cat Lane and the Clerk was instructed to have it cleaned out. The Parish Council consented to take charge of the upkeep of the Monument (War Memorial).

1927 - A letter was sent to the County Council in respect of Pinfold which was considered dangerous to the school children and also the Public at large owing to the motor traffic.

1929 - Following several exchanges between the PC and Col. Wharton, a letter was received from the latter concerning the Pinfold, which he was willing to be taken down on the South, East and West sides - the North wall to the level of the adjoining wall.

 1934 - Letter received from Richmond Rural District Council about the Rights of Way Act 1932 and the need to clearly define footpaths on the Ordnance Survey map. A notice would be put up inviting interested parties to inspect the Ordnance maps in the School on days set out. A suggestion was brought respecting a playing field for the children of the Village. Owing to a lot of traffic on the roads, this was considered essential. The Clerk was asked to write to Squire Wharton to ask if it was possible for him to grant a piece of land for this purpose. A complaint was brought forward respecting to campers and motorists leaving litter behind after being in Jagger Lane leading from Hartforth to the main road between Scotch Corner and Bowes. It was said that it was almost impossible for people to pass owing to horses being allowed to stray when campers paid their periodical visits. A suggestion was made that the Village should come under the "Silence Zone" due to uncalled for noises at night. The Clerk was asked to write to the Ministry of Transport to see if the Village came under the order.

1940 - A circular letter from the Yorkshire Institute of Agriculture had been received on the subject of the importance of increasing food production from small gardens and allotments.

1941 - The dirty state of of the road around the Petrol Pump was raised. This was caused by the continual turning of army cars approaching the pump. An appeal was made to the Ministry of Supply against the removal of the iron railings surrounding the War Memorial (this was granted in 1943).

1944 - Damage done by tanks passing through the village and the Clerk was asked to write to the Officer Commanding the area to see if the tanks could be kept on the road so that damage to drains and grates could be avoided.

1947 - A complaint was made of the nuisance and danger of army lorries stopping for their break in training in the Village. It was suggested they be asked to park out of the Village at the South end where the road is concreted at the side.

1949 - The Clerk was asked to write to the North Eastern Electricity Board and ask them to move the pole on the (Anteforth View) housing site as early as possible to allow building to begin.

1950 - The new Council housing estate was to be called Anteforth View. The name was preferred on a vote over St. Agatha's Drive. Suggestions were invited as to how the Festival of Britain should be celebrated. The Vicar suggested that the ground set aside in the Church field for the children's sports field could be developed; also - as the Tennis Club had no court, one could be made on that ground. It was decided to set up a sub-committee to study the matter. A letter from the RDC was read stating that the consulting engineer was pressing the contractors to complete the work on the open sewer trench in the Village.

1957 - It was decided to ask the RDC to allow the Village to be swept each week by manual labour, as it was stated that the mechanical sweeper did not clean as well as by hand; in addition that cars could be parked under the Church wall without lights as it was thought to be detrimental to the attendance of functions held in the Village Hall when cars had to have their lights on all the time. The Police indicated they had no objection to the latter, provided cars are clear of the roadway. It would be an advantage if the light outside the Village Hall was on during a function.

1958 - The selection of a name for the main road through the Village was raised. Postal authorities had requested that the Village be numbered, and before asking the RDC to number the houses, a name be selected for the main road. The proposal of High Street was carried.

1960 - It was stated that a type-writer would be most useful for the Parish Council. It was decided to purchase a second hand machine that had become available at the RDC office for no more than £10.00. It was subsequently purchased for £8.00.

1962 - A protest sent by the Parish Council re the proposed caravan site at the top of Gilling Bank had been rejected, and permission to go ahead with the site granted.

1963 - A "Good Neighbour Scheme" had been instituted by the RDC to give old people in the Parish a hot meal 2 or 3 times a week - the meal to be cooked by someone in the Parish for which they would be allowing 2/6d. (1/3d. being paid by the old person concerned and 1/3d. by the RDC). Names requiring the service were to be given to the PC Chairman.

1964 - At the Annual Parish Meeting, the Council was asked to request kerbing for the north end of the Village; a footpath down Millgate; another phone kiosk near the council houses and a coin-box telephone in the Aged Persons' flatlets. Arising from the Parish Meeting, the name of the Aged Persons' Estate was to be Oswin Grove.

1965 - A Notice signed by Mr. Hubert Evans of Gilling West was received indicating his intention to apply for the transfer to himself of the licence of "The Angel" public-house.

1966 - Meetings of the Parish and the Parish Council which hitherto had been held in the School Room were switched from this year to the Village Hall. It was reported that the Youth Club and the Cricket Club had been stopped holding dances in the Village Hall. The matter was referred to the RDC. In an exchange of letters, the County Council stated that widening of Gilling Beck bridge would have to wait as there were many places in the North Riding carrying a greater volume of traffic which demand attention. It was suggested that a canteen should be made for the children near the school which would prevent the children having to cross the bridge to the canteen in the Village Hall each day in all weathers.

 1968 - The Parish Council discussed the siting of a proposed foot-bridge. It was agreed unanimously that it be erected on the Oswin Grove side as this would be very beneficial to the aged people living there and to school children.

1969 - The Clerk reported that luminous school signs would be placed in the village when they came to hand by the County Council. Complaints had been received from parents in the village as to the number of failures in the eleven-plus examination during the last 2 or 3 years. It was recommended that the Parish Council seek to take over the Village Green.

1971 - Richmond RDC now willing to empty domestic septic tanks free for those not served by main drainage and non-domestic septic tanks at cost. They had also purchased a motor sweeper for street cleansing. Enquiries were being made to reform the Youth Club and to obtain the services of a Youth Club leader - so far without success. A letter was being sent to North Riding County Council enquiring as to grants for this facility.

1972 - Complaints had been received that the lay-by on the A66 near the Kirklands Hotel was being used as a toilet. The Clerk was instructed to write to the CC asking for a notice to be erected on the lay-by stating that there are toilets half a mile along the road at Scotch Corner.

1973 - It was reported that the closure of the Village School was being considered.

1975 - During the year a £10,000 scheme designed to avoid the flooding of Gilling Beck had been approved by the RDC. Part of the scheme, including lowering the sill of the bridge had already been completed, and the approval of the Water Authority had been given. This would involve the construction of river banks, the connection of the stilt to the beck opposite Mill Farm and the re-grading of the beck. The approval of the Ministry of Agriculture, Fisheries and Food is being sought. It was hoped the work would be completed by the winter.

1976 - Outline planning permission has been granted for a new Vicarage. Cllr. Forster stated that he believed there was no threat to Richmond Hospital as it is, but that extensions to the hospital were almost certainly ruled out.

1977 - Terms for the lease of the nursery garden field at the north end of the Village has been agreed and planning consent granted to turn it into a Playing Field. Final approval by the District Council is expected in April and possession expected in May. A cricket square was laid early the following year. Half a dozen new postcards of the village are now on sale.

1979 - It was suggested that First Aid equipment should be made available in the Village Hall. This was implemented in 1980.

1980 - Complaints had been received as to the noise at the Youth Club particularly during a disco. Concern was also expressed about the number of children who rode on the road on their bicycles without lights.

1981 - The Parish Council resolved to write to the RDC and Gilling Estate asking them to let houses wherever possible to people with young families as the numbers at our Village School are decreasing rapidly.

1986 - Cobbling of the Square - work requested by the Trustees of Gilling Estate, was near completion. Many burglaries had taken place in the area recently and people were asked to keep a watchful eye around them.

1987 - Mrs. Conway, the Parish Council's representative School Governor announced that the Village School now has 2 full-time teachers and that the number of pupils will continue to rise.

1988 - The Parish Council have written to Leon Brittain, M.P. expressing concern at the proposed cuts at Scorton Hospital. The Village Christmas Tree was a great success. Over 60 people came to Oswin Grove on 10th Dec. when the Chairman of the RDC switched on the tree lights and everyone joined in the carol singing with music provided by friends from the Barnard Castle Brass Band.

1990 - At the Annual Parish Meeting, a question was asked as to the Council's views on the proposed development by Gilling Estate whereby they planned to build 8 houses on 3 paddocks on the north side of Millgate. Great concern was expressed as to the access to and from Millgate if this development went ahead. It was agreed that if and when plans are submitted to Richmondshire RDC a public meeting will be called. Fifty people subsequently attended an open meeting wherein it was pointed out that the proposed houses would not be affordable to village people and would not benefit the village in any way. Objections were also received regarding the planting of the trees shown on the plan which would obstruct the view enjoyed by those living on Anteforth View. The Chairman said that the Parish Council would send a letter to the Planning Authority opposing the plans.

1996 - A second housing survey had been carried out throughout the whole Parish which resulted in a very poor response. A village bonfire was organised and enjoyed by everyone who attended. A request has been made to Gilling Estate about the possibility of low-cost housing and the creation of a new Village Green with the help of the Millenium Fund.

1997 - The Neighbourhood Watch Scheme is in operation now with 13 co-ordinators covering the Village.

2000 - The newly formed Gilling West & District Gardening Society is extremely successful with a membership of 71.

POST OFFICE

1895 - It was decided "to procure the establishment of 'a Postal Telegraph Office'".

1897 - Letter received from the GPO to the effect that the Official Designation of the Gilling Richmond Yorkshire Post Office would in future be "Gilling West".

1898 - The Chairman stated that the Parish Council should not be liable for more than the £25.00 guarantee originally agreed with the Post Master General in 1895/6 now that the latter had reached an agreement with Lord Zetland for the use of the poles carrying his private wires. A letter had been sent to the Accountant General to this effect. A reply from the AG acknowledging the mistake was minuted later.

1899 - It was decided a letter be written to the PO Surveyor, York asking for 'a wall letterbox be erected on the South end of the Village of Gilling. A request was also included to replace the letterbox in the village of Hartforth, 'which was taken down recently'.

1903 - A letter was sent to the PO Surveyor asking him to make arrangements for the having the letterbox at the South End cleared in the morning as well as in the evening. Minutes for the next Meeting indicate that arrangements had been made for the letter box in the 'Reading Room' to be cleared at 7.55am each morning.

1907 - Letter received from the PMG asking for permission to erect telegraph poles on the road from Gilling to Ravensworth. Requested acceded to by the Council.

1909 - Changes in Post Office opening hours were recorded. Hitherto this had been 8am-8pm weekdays, Sundays and Good Friday. From now on Sunday openings would be 9-10am; Good Fridays 9-10am & 2-3pm.

1937 - A motion was passed to keep the Post Office closed on New Year's Day 1938 as this was regarded as a Public Holiday.

1939 - Saturday collections were agreed to be altered from 6.00pm to 4.25pm and Saturday deliveries from 4.05pm to 2.30pm.

FIRE SERVICE

1910 - A letter was read to a Parish Council meeting indicating that Richmond Fire Serevice' would only be available in a few parishes on a subscription basis. It was decided not to subscribe. The Clerk was instructed to write to Squire Wharton asking him if he was willing to assist in providing means in case of fire. 1911 - A reply from W.H.A.Wharton, Esq. was read 'respecting the providing of hose-pipe in case of fire'. This was considered inadequate andit was decided to write direct to Richmond Fire Brigade asking their terms - if called upon. 1912 - A letter was read from Mr.W.Foster respecting the Richmondshire Fire Brigade ' whose services the Parish might have in case of fire, on an annual subscription of £3.3.0d and by paying the ordinary charges in the event of a call being made in accordance of the scale on page 4 of a copy of the rules sent to Council.' It was proposed that 'the question of Fire Brigade be left over for consideration of cost.' 1913 - The Council decided they 'could not see their way to subscribe to the Fire Brigade.' 1941 - A special meeting was held in the School Room to discuss the formation of fire fighting parties at the request of the Rural District Council. Although not compulsory, it was regarded as essential that these parties be formed. Nine were formed, each one being allotted its part of the village. Twelve additional names were given for fire watching should this ever be called upon to be done.

STREET LIGHTING

1934 - 'A suggestion was made about lighting the Village with Electricity'. A letter would be sent to Richmond Borough Council to see if they had a scheme whereby light could be brought into the village. It is minuted later that year the Clerk was asked to provide names and addresses of Councillors to the Newcastle Electricity Supply Co. As a result, a plan showing where it was expected to erect the poles for the Electric Lighting was received. A request was sent to Newcastle Electricity Supply Co. asking for a representative to visit Gilling to explain costs and 'offer items' at a future Parish Meeting.

1935 - The Clerk advised that he had had a meeting with a representative of the Electricity Supply Co. who gave details of the costs according to the position of the poles fixed. He was asked to obtain a detailed list in writing.

A66 - DUAL CARRIAGEWAY - FROM SCOTCH CORNER WESTWARDS 

1976 - Parish Council included the concept of improving road safety by dualling this major trunk road in its observations relating to the North Yorkshire Structure Plan.

1980 - The Parish Meeting was advised that NYDC were to carry out a survey after the Easter holidays.

1981 - NYDC stated that the Department of Transport had no money available for this project but trhat this work would be re-introduced into the Trunk Road programme when money became available.

1983 - Representatives of the Parish Council, the Police and NYDC had met in September and recommendations had been made with a view to temporary improvements. 'No Parking' signs had been erected on the A66 and additional markings are on the Gilling and Melsonby roads. However, the NYDC are still awaitying the go-ahead from the D.O.T for the placing of markings on the A66. It is hoped that major improvements will be made when funds are available.

1984 - Parish Council awaiting revised plans regarding major improvements.

1985 - NYDC reported as stating that work would commence on the scheme in September.

1986 - Parish Council informed that NYDC were to conduct a complete re-appraisal of the works to be carried out and to prepare a report for the M.O.T. A letter was to be sent to NYDC expessing the Parish Council's disappointment.

1987 - Cllr. Heseltine reported that NYDC were still waiting to hear from the Department of Environment and Transdport as to the re-appraisal.

1989 - Cllr. Heseltine reported that the NYDC has been asked by the D.O.T to submit alternative proposals and in the meantime ladder markings will be made to the Melsonby cross-roads junction.

1990 - Mrs. Golding told the Annual Parish Meeting that the ladder markings were considered unsatisfactory and that the Parish Council were pressing for double white lines - as suggested for many years. William Hague, M.P. and Cllr. Hsltine fully support the PC in this matter. Also PC were going to recommend a de-acceleration lane for the Gilling turning.

1991 - Cllr. Heseltine reported that the upgrading of the A66 is with the D.O.T and out of the hands of NYDC. When the problems of land purchase have been resolved a contract will be drawn up for the slip roads- hopefully in the New Year.

1992- It was agreed that the creation of the Melsonby cross-road slip-roads was a great improvement.

1998 - Cllr. Heseltine's report to the Annual Parish Meeting included a statement that 'a start of dualling the A66 is imminent.'

2003 - Cllr. Heseltine reported that the period for public consultation had ended and it seems likely there will be a Public Enquiry in the Autumn.

2005 - Cllr. Heseltine reported that work would begin this Autumn.

BUS SERVICES

1936 - Complaints were read out at the Parish Council Meeting regarding buses not running to time-table.

1937 - A suggestion was made at the Parish Council meeting that the County Council be written to seeking bus-stops be placed in different parts of the Village. Also that support be obtained from Mansfield and Aldborough St.John for additional buses to be run on Mondays, i.e. 10.15 from Richmond to Darlington and 3.5pm on the return journey. Subsequent minutes indicate that this support had been received - though the bus company had yet to respond.

1945 - Position of bus-stops discussed and the Clerk was asked to write to the United Automobile Co. to meet a deputation from the village on the matter.

1946 - The positioning of bus-stop signs was discussed.

1947 - Letter received from Melsonby PC requesting support in their efforts to improve the week-end service between Richmond and Darlington.  Letter received by the Parish Council signed by 38 parishioners asking for a bus-stop at the South end of the village. The Clerk was asked to write to the County Council enclosing the said letter.

1971 - Both bus shelters completed and now in use - report to the Parish Council meeting.

1972 - It was stated that shop-keepers in Richmond were refusing jobs to people living on the bus route to Gilling due to the fact that the bus they will return home on leaves at 5.20pm - the shops not closing until 5.30pm. The Clerk was asked to write to RDC asking them to contact United Automobile with a view to having the departure time put back accordingly - pointing out also that the next bus did not leave until 7.50pm. It was reported subsequently that UA had brought about the required changes.

1981 - Concern was expressed at trhe increase in United bus fares - in particular the fare from Gilling to Richmond which is now 40p. each way for a three mile journey.

1987 - Cllr. Heseltine congratulated on his working in connection with the bus services following representations. Despite re-regulation, we still have nearly the same service we had previously.

BEST KEPT VILLAGE AND BRITAIN IN BLOOM AWARDS

1966 - First year of the Best Kept Village Competition. The Annual Parish Meeting agreed the Village should take part.

1974 - Cllr. Laybourn congratulated Gilling on winning the 1973 competition and stated the Rural District Council Chairman would be making the presentation on Saturday 30th March along Richmond Road where the new seat is to be sited.

1980 - Cllr. Conway reported that the Village had again won the District Council's Best Kept Village Competition and a further seat had been placed in the Cricket Field.

1983 - Britain in Bloom - award of Merit

1985 - Britain in Bloom - award of Merit

1987 - Thanks were expressed at the Annual Parish Meeting to everyone for their efforts which made it possible for Gilling to receive an Award of Merit in the Britain-in-Bloom Competition and also win the District Council's Best Kept Village Competition.

1988 - Gilling received an Award of Merit in the Britain-in-Bloom Competition and also win the District Council's Best Kept Village Competition. New  seat placed in Millgate.

1989 - Gilling received an Award of Merit in the Britain-in-Bloom Competition and gained a very high mark in the District Council's Best Kept Village Competition.

1990 - Winner of the Best Kept Village competition; second in the Yorkshire Rural Community Council competition and received a certificate of Merit in the Yorkshire and Humberside competition.

1994 - Won the Besdt Kept Village competition.

1996 - Certificate of Merit received in the Britain-in-Bloom competition and the Village won the Richmondshire DC's Best Kept Village Competition.

1998 - Won the Best Kept Village Competition.

1999 - Triple wins recorded: - Richmondshire DC - Best Kept Village Competition - Yorkshire Rural Community Council Competition - Yorkshire in Bloom - certificate of Merit

2000 - Yorkshire in Bloom - certificate of Merit

2001 - Richmondshire DC - Best Kept Village Competition

2002 - Richmondshire DC - Best Kept Village Competition. A small variegated holly has been planted in Oswin Grove. Yorkshire in Bloom - 5 awards received at Leeds Civic Centre: - Most improved village - Second for Millenium Green - Third for Ashbrook Court - building development under 5 years - Third for Summer displays in small villages - Certificate of Merit for War Memorial

2003 - Richmondshire DC - Best Kept Village - tree planted on Millenium Green

VARIOUS MILESTONES

1894 - The first Meeting of the Parish Council took place in accordance with the notice duly issued by the Chairman of the Parish Meeting held at Gilling on Tuesday, 4th December 1894. It was held in the School Room on Thursday 13th December 1894 @ 6.30pm.

1895 - It was decided to ask the District Council to continue the footpath by the Richmond Road side from its termination at the bottom of Gilling Bank to the top of Aske Bank to join that made by the Marquis of Zetland. There was much traffic especially on market days and persons walking were much inconvenienced by the want of a footpath between the places named, the road being frequently very dirty and in places wet and overhung by trees. A letter was received in 1896 from the County Surveyor asking for an estimate. However, it was decided not to pursue the matter as parts of the footpath extended into the parishes of Aske and Easby.

1897 - Correspondence had been made with W. H. A. Wharton (Gilling Estate) with reference to money collected as fees for standing room on the Green from travelling shows. Mr. Wharton had no objection to this being paid into the accounts of the Council without prejudice.

1898 - The Clerk was directed to write to the Trustees protesting that at the last examination of candidates for the Hartforth Scholarships, both the successful candidates were from Richmond Grammar School - to the exclusion of boys from Gilling and the other parishes to which preference is given by the Scheme.

1908 - Attention was called to the lane leading to Mouldron (called Cat Lane) being in a filthy state due to rubbish being thrown there. The Clerk was instructed to have the same cleared and to ask Mrs. Pawsey to tell the adjoining tenants not to throw their rubbish in in future.

1911 - A letter was read reporting the dangerous state of the footbridge near Hartforth saw mill. The Clerk was instructed to ask Major Cradock if he would have the same made good. (Further exchanges are listed and the bridge was finally re-built in 1920.

1915 - A letter was read from the North Yorkshire Automobile Club respecting Danger boards - the matter being left in the Chairman's hands.

A communication was read from the County Council wanting a list sent of all eligible young men in the Parish for the Army.

1917 - A communication was read from the RDC respecting National Service. The Clerk was instructed to reply that, owing to the publicity of the question and the men being already beneficially employed, it was unnecessary for a personal canvas.

1923 - Mr Lambert drew the attention of the PC to the dirty state of Cat Lane and the Clerk was instructed to have it cleaned out.

The Parish Council consented to take charge of the upkeep of the Monument (War Memorial).

1927 - A letter was sent to the County Council in respect of Pinfold which was considered dangerous to the school children and also the Public at large owing to the motor traffic.

1929 - Following several exchanges between the PC and Col. Wharton, a letter was received from the latter concerning the Pinfold, which he was willing to be taken down on the South, East and West sides - the North wall to the level of the adjoining wall.

1934 - Letter received from Richmond Rural District Council about the Rights of Way Act 1932 and the need to clearly define footpaths on the Ordnance Survey map. A notice would be put up inviting interested parties to inspect the Ordnance maps in the School on days set out.

A suggestion was brought respecting a playing field for the children of the Village. Owing to a lot of traffic on the roads, this was considered essential. The Clerk was asked to write to Squire Wharton to ask if it was possible for him to grant a piece of land for this purpose.

A complaint was brought forward respecting to campers and motorists leaving litter behind after being in Jagger Lane leading from Hartforth to the main road between Scotch Corner and Bowes. It was said that it was almost impossible for people to pass owing to horses being allowed to stray when campers paid their periodical visits.

A suggestion was made that the Village should come under the "Silence Zone" due to uncalled for noises at night. The Clerk was asked to write to the Ministry of Transport to see if the Village came under the order.

1940 - A circular letter from the Yorkshire Institute of Agriculture had been received on  the subject of the importance of increasing food production from small gardens and allotments.

1941 - The dirty state of of the road around the Petrol Pump was raised. This was caused by the continual turning of army cars approaching the pump.

An appeal was made to the Ministry of Supply against the removal of the iron railings surrounding the War Memorial (this was granted in 1943).

1944 - Damage done by tanks passing through the village and the Clerk was asked to write to the Officer Commanding the area to see if the tanks could be kept on the road so that damage to drains and grates could be avoided.

1947 - A complaint was made of the nuisance and danger of army lorries stopping for their break in training in the Village. It was suggested they be asked to park out of the Village at the South end where the road is concreted at the side.

1949 - The Clerk was asked to write to the North Eastern Electricity Board and ask them to move the pole on the (Anteforth View) housing site as early as possible to allow building to begin.

1950 - The new Council housing estate was to be called Anteforth View. The name was preferred on a vote over St. Agatha's Drive.

Suggestions were invited as to how the Festival of Britain should be celebrated. The Vicar suggested that the ground set aside in the Church field for the children's sports field could be developed; also - as the Tennis Club had no court, one could be made on that ground. It was decided to set up a sub-committee to study the matter.

A letter from the RDC was read stating that the consulting engineer was pressing the contractors to complete the work on the open sewer trench in the Village.

1957 - It was decided to ask the RDC to allow the Village to be swept each week by manual labour, as it was stated that the mechanical sweeper did not clean as well as by hand; in addition that cars could be parked under the Church wall without lights as it was thought to be detrimental to the attendance of functions held in the Village Hall when cars had to have their lights on all the time. The Police indicated they had no objection to the latter, provided cars are clear of the roadway. It would be an advantage if the light outside the Village Hall was on during a function.

1958 - The selection of a name for the main road through the Village was raised. Postal authorities had requested that the Village be numbered, and before asking the RDC to number the houses, a name be selected for the main road. The proposal of High Street was carried.

1960 - It was stated that a type-writer would be most useful for the Parish Council. It was decided to purchase a second hand machine that had become available at the RDC office for no more than £10.00. It was subsequently purchased for £8.00.

1962 - A protest sent by the Parish Council re the proposed caravan site at the top of Gilling Bank had been rejected, and permission to go ahead with the site granted.

1963 - A "Good Neighbour Scheme" had been instituted by the RDC to give old people in the Parish a hot meal 2 or 3 times a week - the meal to be cooked by someone in the Parish for which they would be allowing 2/6d. (1/3d. being paid by the old person concerned and 1/3d. by the RDC). Names requiring the service were to be given to the PC Chairman.

1964 - At the Annual Parish Meeting, the Council was asked to request kerbing for the north end of the Village; a footpath down Millgate; another phone kiosk near the council houses and a coin-box telephone in the Aged Persons' flatlets.

Arising from the Parish Meeting, the name of the Aged Persons' Estate was to be Oswin Grove.

1965 - A Notice signed by Mr. Hubert Evans of Gilling West was received indicating his intention to apply for the transfer to himself of the licence of "The Angel" public-house.

1966 - Meetings of the Parish and the Parish Council which hitherto had been held in the School Room were switched from this year to the Village Hall.

It was reported that the Youth Club and the Cricket Club had been stopped holding dances in the Village Hall. The matter was referred to the RDC.

In an exchange of letters, the County Council stated that widening of Gilling Beck bridge would have to wait as there were many places in the North Riding carrying a greater volume of traffic which demand attention.

It was suggested that a canteen should be made for the children near the school which would prevent the children having to cross the bridge to the canteen in the Village Hall each day in all weathers.

1968 - The Parish Council discussed the siting of a proposed foot-bridge. It was agreed unanimously that it be erected on the Oswin Grove side as this would be very beneficial to the aged people living there and to school children.

1969 - The Clerk reported that luminous school signs would be placed in the village when they came to hand by the County Council.

Complaints had been received from parents in the village as to the number of failures in the eleven-plus examination during the last 2 or 3 years.

It was recommended that the Parish Council seek to take over the Village Green.

1971 - Richmond RDC now willing to empty domestic septic tanks free for those not served by main drainage and non-domestic septic tanks at cost. They had also purchased a motor sweeper for street cleansing.

Enquiries were being made to reform the Youth Club and to obtain the services of a Youth Club leader - so far without success. A letter was being sent to North Riding County Council enquiring as to grants for this facility.

1972 - Complaints had been received that the lay-by on the A66 near the Kirklands Hotel was being used as a toilet. The Clerk was instructed to write to the CC asking for a notice to be erected on the lay-by stating that there are toilets half a mile along the road at Scotch Corner.

1973 - It was reported that the closure of the Village School was being considered.

1975 - During the year a £10,000 scheme designed to avoid the flooding of Gilling Beck had been approved by the RDC. Part of the scheme, including lowering the sill of the bridge had already been completed, and the approval of the Water Authority had been given. This would involve the construction of river banks, the connection of the stilt to the beck opposite Mill Farm and the re-grading of the beck. The approval of the Ministry of Agriculture, Fisheries and Food is being sought. It was hoped the work would be completed by the winter.

1976 - Outline planning permission has been granted for a new Vicarage.

Cllr. Forster stated that he believed there was no threat to Richmond Hospital as it is, but that extensions to the hospital were almost certainly ruled out.

1977 - Terms for the lease of the nursery garden field at the north end of the Village has been agreed and planning consent granted to turn it into a Playing Field. Final approval by the District Council is expected in April and possession expected in May. A cricket square was laid early the following year.

Half a dozen new postcards of the village are now on sale.

1979 - It was suggested that First Aid equipment should be made available in the Village Hall. This was implemented in 1980.

1980 - Complaints had been received as to the noise at the Youth Club particularly during a disco. Concern was also expressed about the number of children who rode on the road on their bicycles without lights.

1981 - The Parish Council resolved to write to the RDC and Gilling Estate asking them to let houses wherever possible to people with young families as the numbers at our Village School are decreasing rapidly.

1986 - Cobbling of the Square - work requested by the Trustees of Gilling Estate, was near completion.

Many burglaries had taken place in the area recently and people were asked to keep a watchful eye around them.

1987 - Mrs. Conway,  the Parish Council's representative School Governor announced that the Village School now has 2 full-time teachers and that the number of pupils will continue to rise.

1988 - The Parish Council have written to Leon Brittain, M.P. expressing concern at the proposed cuts at Scorton Hospital.

The Village Christmas Tree was a great success. Over 60 people came to Oswin Grove on 10th Dec. when the Chairman of the RDC switched on the tree lights and everyone joined in the carol singing with music provided by friends from the Barnard Castle Brass Band.

1990 - At the Annual Parish Meeting, a question was asked as to the Council's views on the proposed development by Gilling Estate whereby they planned to build 8 houses on 3 paddocks on the north side of Millgate. Great concern was expressed as to the access to and from Millgate if this development went ahead. It was agreed that if and when plans are submitted to Richmondshire RDC a public meeting will be called. Fifty people subsequently attended an open meeting wherein it was pointed out that the proposed houses would not be affordable to village people and would not benefit the village in any way. Objections were also received regarding the planting of the trees shown on the plan which would obstruct the view enjoyed by those living on Anteforth View. The Chairman said that the Parish Council would send a letter to the Planning Authority opposing the plans.

1996 - A second housing survey had been carried out throughout the whole Parish which resulted in a very poor response. A village bonfire was organised and enjoyed by everyone who attended. A request has been made to Gilling Estate about the possibility of low-cost housing and the creation of a new Village Green with the help of the Millenium Fund.

1997 - The Neighbourhood Watch Scheme is in operation now with 13 co-ordinators covering the Village.

2000 - The newly formed Gilling West & District Gardening Society is extremely successful with a membership of 71.